Tuesday, January 6, 2009

So, I haven't written much yet, because everyone else has been, but I feel like writing now. Adventure doesn't even begin to describe what we are having. Every time we stop in the rickshaw, we are mobbed by people. It feels like we're movie stars with how the people treat us. If we stop and open the back of the rickshaw up, there are always between 10 and 20 people who gather around. The Indians are a vary curious people, and I have never been gawked at like I have been here. Every motorcycle, car, truck, or rickshaw that drives by makes me feel like an alien. We've learned that if you just smile and wave at them then they will smile and wave back. That really helps to break up the staring.

We've blown our engine two and a half times now. The firt time, our mechaninc Selva worked about 8 hours replacing the piston first, then completely removing and tearing down the engine to remove all the broken piston pieces. He and his helper worked all day on our engine, in the dirt on the side of the road in front of his shop. His labor charge for the day was 600 rupees, which is $12. Of course we payed him more (about $15), but it really broke my heart that he works so hard for so little. I can't imagine how much the unskilled make. Our second piston and cylinder replace cost us 150 rupees for about 2 hours of the mechanics time. $3 is all that is. It's just unbelievable.

I know Britt has already talked about Rosey, but I just want to speak about her for a minute. Rosey lost two children, her husband, and her house in the Tsunami four years ago. I have never met a happier person in my life. She helped us find a mechanic, translated everything for us, fed us lunch in her families grass hut (in which 6 people live), gave Britt clothes, and asked for nothing in return. Of course we gave her 2000 rupees when we left (which is probably about a months pay for her as she is a nurse), and I am so glad that she accepted it. Before we left town Rosey took us to her catholic church. There, Rosey, Britt, Grant, and I prayed while a funeral was going on. It was one of the most touching moments of my life.

We've had two and a half trouble free days now, and we're making good time. 6 days into the journey, and we have finally turned inland and plotted our journey to Shillong. If we don't break down again, we should make it there just barely. Suprisingly, ten hours a day in a rickshaw is not as bad as I imagined it would be. There's something pleasing about loading up every morning and continuing on our journey. - Mike

1 comment:

  1. Hola amigos!!! i just get the blog from pikita today, and i have readed so much of your great adventures! its amazing! u know, going back to the first experiences, troubles, meeeting new people, and definitly my hero of this nobel
    ROSEY, man! i almost cry of joy about her great example of service and her big heart and love, i'm very sure that she feels the same joy to meet wonderful persons as you are guys!.
    Greetings and peace from FoCo! please say hi to Britt and the other guys...Su hermano mexicano. Alejandro.

    ReplyDelete