Wednesday, January 14, 2009

So Guwahati has become bomb central for India. There was quite a few large bombing attacks here over the past few months, including one set of three bombs just 14 days ago. It's so sad because it's one of the more vibrant, friendlier cities in India that I've been in. I found some really amazing markets tonights while wandering the streets and never found a lack of people saying hello and wanting to talk to me. I had a pedal rickshaw driver try to give me my ride for free at one point tonight. The town's not exactly beautiful in a traditional way, but the people and streets make it pretty awesome. I was in my room a little while ago, which looks out over the city and is in the corner and two full windows of walls and I realized that it was dead silent. There is a curfew imposed. There are military personnel at nearly every street corner. There was a girl from Georgia here that was talking about how she already missed home and couldn't wait to get out of here, then I found out she'd only been in India for two days. I've been here for close to twenty and as I get closer to leaving the more sad I get to be going. I guess that's why I ordered three big beers to greet me back in my room. :) - Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment