Sunday, December 28, 2008

India India India!

Here I sit in a Humid room the size of my pantry, my shoes waiting for me at the door with pictures of Hindu gods surrounding me. This land is encredible. I wish I had enough time to write it all. Instead I will give a brief overview of what its been like. We took a 10 hour plane ride from London to Chenni. After a long wait in customs and a first experience with the "hand baday" we made it outside where at 3am there were hundreds upon hundreds of people either waiting for their family or to taxi us somewhere. After finally finding a taxi driver we hop into a car that looks like it was made in 1950 who took us to the bus station at a terrifiyingly quick rate. We were somehow able to find our way on a bus to Pondicherry. As I hopped on the moving bus the energy of something exciting really hit me. And we almost hit a car/bus/scooter/rickshaw/human/dog in the process of getting to Pondi. The four hour bus ride really gave us the ablility to the culture of this beautiful country. As I watched the sun rise over the misty tropics and see the Indians building their morning fires all around I realized that this is where I am suppose to be. After about a five hour bus ride we arrived in Pondicherry very early. We walked from the bus station straight to the ocean. All of us beaten and worn we sat at the oceans edge and soaked it all up. We found food and sent Grant off on an expedition for a hotel. After about an hours wait he came back and said "Okay, I've found us a place for four night (total cost $19, for all four nights)" So all four of us loaded our gear in one rickshaw with a man who smelled like Maha and he drove us 8k to a small part of town with a short walk to the beach. There was only one bed in the room and luckily the owner was able to rent us another room at 250r. Thats about $4 for four nights. We have just been walking around everywhere and enjoying everything. Tomorrow we get our Rickshaw and get to enjoy a festive new years party!

-britt

No comments:

Post a Comment